Thursday, December 5, 2013

First Ombre Attempt

Before Thanksgiving break, I crammed in several more soap loaves so that they'd be cured by Christmas. I attempted the hanger swirl and doing ombre layers (not in the same batch). My first attempt at the hanger swirl turned out decent--see the chai tea soap picture below. I tried it again with an apple scented soap (not pictured), but I didn't pour the layers correctly so my red soap punctured the white soap layer. Boo.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share how the lavender soap is looking now. Fortunately the ultraviolet pigment stands out much more and looks much more purple than gray. I was a bit worried when I first made the soap that I'd have white and gray soap.

Here is a picture of my chai tea soap and my first attempt at the hanger swirl. Everyone keeps saying this soap looks like fudge! I might try attaching wooden skewers to the hanger in the future to get more distinct lines.

Finally, I wanted to share pictures of my first ombre soap! I have to admit that I am very happy with the way it turned out. Considering that it was a small batch, it was extremely hard to measure the right amount of soap for each layer--I ended up just having to eyeball it. Hence, some of the layers in the middle all look the same hah. I did seven layers, starting with a teal pigment. Aside from some small air bubbles, I think the soap looks great, though. Hopefully my future ombre endeavors turn out this good!


No comments:

Post a Comment